We’ve almost made it through the dark days of winter, and spring is finally around the corner! Spring cleaning is a good idea any year, but it's especially wise if you’ve been inside a lot or have concerns about spreading germs.
We put together this quick task list to help you plan your seasonal maintenance and keep your home all clean and pretty, inside and out.
Prep for a good time
It’s a rare person who relishes cleaning, but there are ways to make the job more fun. We recommend:
- Finding a bopping playlist to keep your energy up
- Scheduling snacks between tasks
- Creating a list so everyone in the family does their share
- Planning a reward (perhaps a movie, or fancy dinner in) for when every item is checked off
Indoor deep cleaning
After spending months inside, your indoor space may have gotten a bit grimy. Break the tasks into rooms if it seems overwhelming, or race against the clock to make it all feel like a game.
- Wipe down walls, light switches, electrical outlets, and baseboards
- Dust ceiling fans and switch the direction of rotation to counterclockwise
- Clean air vents and registers
- Replace the batteries in smoke and carbon monoxide alarms
- Replace air filters with HEPA models
- Clean doors, door handles, and doormats
- Wipe down appliances and cabinets (and don’t forget to clean the coils behind the fridge)
- Deodorize and degrease the kitchen and bathroom drains
- Dust and polish furniture
- Wash and store blankets and warm bedding
- Vacuum (or wash) heavy curtains and upholstery
- Wash inside windows and window sills
- Dust and clean décor and lampshades
- Sanitize remote controls and electronics
- Sweep and mop hardwood and tile floors
- Spot clean and vacuum carpets and, if necessary, schedule a professional cleaning
Good luck, and enjoy those spring blossoms!