The internet never ceases to amaze. Just when you think you’ve seen it all, burgeoning bloggers go and create a “life hack” list that blows your mind all over again. With Halloween rapidly approaching, please enjoy this collection of spooky tricks and tips to help you impress your kids and outdo your neighbors this Halloween.
Spookify Your Snacks
Nearly any food item can be Halloween-themed with the right combination of candy corn, food coloring, and dry ice. Here are a few instant-classics from BuzzFeed you can use this Halloween:
- Mummy Juice Boxes: Wrap your children’s juice box with white tape, and glue on googly eyes.
- Jack-O-Lantern Burgers: Cut holes into a cheese slice to give your burger a Halloween look.
- Spider Ice Cubes: Throw a few fake plastic spiders into the ice tray before freezing ice cubes.
- Witch’s Brooms: Use pretzel sticks and string cheese to create a tasty witch’s broom.
Extend the life of your Jack-O-Lantern with Petroleum Jelly and Bleach
Between Jack-O-Lanterns and Snowmen, our favorite seasonal buddies don’t seem to live for very long. With these two easy tricks from Rare.us, however, your Jack-O-Lantern will live almost twice as long as normal!
- Once you’ve hollowed out the pumpkin, coat the inside with petroleum jelly to keep it from drying out as quickly throughout the season.
- When you’re finished carving the pumpkin, clean the outside with bleach to wash away any bacteria that may rot your Jack-O-Lantern prematurely!
Easy (and Scary!) House Decorations
For party hosts, there are dozens of easy ways to creep out your guests! Below are some of the most effective.
- Sacrifice a few hand towels in the name of Halloween by adding fake bloody handprints, making it seem as if someone recently cleaned up a gruesome scene.
- Use starch and a cheesecloth to create an imaginative floating ghost centerpiece.
- Drip red wax on white candles to create the illusion of a bleeding candle.
Step Up Your Stencil Game
Tired of the same old Jack-O-Lantern stencils that come in those plastic-carving kits? You can head over to FrugalCouponLiving.com to score hundreds of free stencils for your pumpkin carving party.
- Print some 700 free Jack-O-Lantern stencils to spice up your design this year.